- 3-1/2 to 4-pound chicken, quartered
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces walnuts, ground
- 3 cups chicken stock, about
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 fresh hot red or green peppers, seeded
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 cup greated Parmesan cheese
1. Put the chicken pieces into a large saucepan or flameproof casserole with the stock, adding a little more if necessary to cover, and poach until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Let the chicken cool in the stock. Remove the skin and bones and shred the meat into pieces about 1-1/2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide. Set the shredded chicken aside and reserve the stock.
2. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are golden. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk and mash to a paste. Add the breadcrumb mixture to the casserole. In a blender or food processor reduce the peppers and tomatoes to a puree and stir into the casserole. Add the ground walnuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, over moderate heat for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, 1 cup of the stock, and the cheese, and cook just until heated through. The sauce should be thick. Serve the chicken and sauce on a heated platter surrounded by halved, boiled potatoes, hardboiled eggs, sliced lengthwise, and black olives.