- 3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 teasp Ground Cumin
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1kg/2.2 lbs Braising or Stewing Steak, cubed
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- approx 480ml/16 fl.oz. Fresh Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped Coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 400g/14oz Spinach, roughly chopped
- 180ml/6fl.oz. Water
- 150g/5oz Frozen Green Peas
- 1 large Potato
- The zest of 1 Lime
1. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, cumin salt and pepper.
2. Place the meat in a large dish, add the garlic mixture and mix well with your hands. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan, add the meat and brown on all sides.
4. Add onions and cook, stirring until soft and transparent.
5. Add 240ml/8fl.oz. of the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat slightly and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring from time to time and adding more stock as necessary.
6. Place the spinach and coriander in a food processor or blender together with 180ml/6fl.oz. of water and process until smooth. Set aside.
7. Peel the potato and cut into small cubes then add to the cooked meat together with the spinach mixture. Mix well and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
8. Add the frozen peas cook for a further 5 minutes.
9. Just before serving, stir in the lime zest. Serve hot with white rice.