- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 pounds pork, shoulder or back, including bonw, cut through bone into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons dried yellow aji chili powder, to taste
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 cups (4 quarts) water
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1. In a processor grind together the cumin, aji powder, pepper, turmeric, and garlic. Set aside.
2. Bring the water to a boil in a large pan. Add the pork and ground seasonings and cook over moderate heat for 15 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and salt and mix well. Cook, covered, for 1-1/2 hours (or more), until the meat is soft. Stir in the wine vinegar. The fricassee will develop a thick sauce, but if it is too thick, add a small amount of boiling water.
3. Serve hot, with white rice and white or yellow corn kernels. It can also be served, if preferred, with boiled potatoes.