- 1 can of sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup water
1. Mix the condensed milk, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, the vanilla, and eggs.
2. In a saucepan dissolve 1/2 cup sugar in 1/4 cup of water, heat carefully until it becomes syrupy and slightly tan.
3. Pour the caramel in a glass baking dish and pour the milk mixture on top.
4. Take a slightly larger glass dish and fill halfway with water. Place the dish with the milk mixture inside the larger dish and cover everything with aluminium foil. Cook in a 400-degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until the custard is completely cooked. (In Spanish this method of cooking is called baño maría.)
5. Serve slightly chilled.